David Desplaces, Ph.D.
David Desplaces, Ph.D. and CGBP, is passionate about helping students reach their full potential and prepare for the "borderless business world" that we work in today. As an associate professor of global commerce and entrepreneurship, Dr. Desplaces believes that applied learning opportunities are the pathway for every student's future success and he works tirelessly to create valuable experiences for our students. He's the faculty advisor of the Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) team who systematically earns recognition at the regional and national SIFE competitions. The caliber of the team's accomplishments and overall impact both locally and in Cameroon, Africa, distinguished them from the other university teams.
Each year, Dr. Desplaces leads students in study-abroad courses to places such as Dubai, Cameron, and Turkey where their global views and understanding are transformed. Through his active community and civic engagement with the local Boys Scouts, and on the boards of the James Island Connector Run and Possibilities Without Borders, Dr. Desplaces serves as a role model to students who want to "give back" in meaningful ways.
Dr. Desplaces' published research examines the geographical implications on the success and failure of new business ventures and franchises. He looks at foreign trade zone activity, transportation infrastructure, capital and other factors that determine whether a region is a viable export driver. Finally, he continues to research the impact and importance of educational practices on business ethics education.
CGBP - Certified Global Business Professional, NASBIT, June 2008
University of Rhode Island - Kingston, Rhode Island
Ph.D., Business Administration, May 2004
Syracuse University - Syracuse, New York
M.S.E., December 1999
Syracuse University - Syracuse, New York
M.S., Instructional Design, Development & Evaluation
Bentley College - Waltham, Massachusetts
Internet Systems Management Certificate , Summer 1998
Bentley Graduate School of Business - Waltham, Massachusetts
M.B.A., Finance, May 1996
Bentley College, Waltham, Massachusetts
B.S., Management, May 1994
- Regional economic development
- Spatial allocation of funding for new ventures
- Business ethics education
- Change management
- Principles of Entrepreneurship
- Small Business Management
- Introduction to Business
- Creation of New Business Enterprises
- Global Commerce & Enterprise
Honors and Awards
- 2009 Forty Under 40 in Charleston
Dean's Award Recipient, Dean's list for 5 semesters
Falcon Honor Society member
Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities (2 years)2010 Leavey Award for Free Enterprise (Freedoms Foundation)
- 2010 School Teaching Award
- Desplaces, D.E., & Ogilvie, J. (2013). A Manager’s Action? An Exercise for Exploring Sexual Harassment. Organization Management Journal. Vol. 10, (1), 36-44.
- Welsh, D. H. B., Davis, A. E., Desplaces, D.E., & Fable, C. (2012) A Resource Based View of Three Forms of Businesses in the Startup Phase: Implications for Franchising. Journal of Small Business Strategy (forthcoming), 22 (1).
- Welsh, D. H. B., Desplaces, D.E., & Davis, A. E. (2011). A Comparison of Retail Franchises, Independent Businesses and Purchased Existing Independent Business Startups: Lessons from the Kauffman Firm Survey. Journal of Marketing Channels.
- Bosco, S. M., Melchar, D. E., Beauvais, L. L., Desplaces, D.E. (2010). Teaching business ethics: the effectiveness of common pedagogical practices in developing students’ more judgment competence. Journal of Ethics Education, 5 (3), 263-280.
- Desplaces, D.E., Blockson, L. & Delaurell, R. (2010). Competing for New York’s Best Lobster Roll: Failed Trade Protection. The CASE Journal, 6 (2).
- Congden, S., Matveev, A. & Desplaces, D.E. (2009). Cross-Culture Communication and Multicultural Team Performance: A German and American Comparison. Journal of Comparative International Management, 12 (2), 73-89.
- Desplaces, D.E., Wergeles, F., & McGuigan, P. (2009). Economic Gardening through Entrepreneurship Education: A Service-Learning Approach. Industry & Higher Education, 23 (6), 1-12.
- Desplaces, D.E. & McIntyre, N. K. (2009). Revising doing business in the Middle East. New England Journal of Entrepreneurship, 12 (1), 55-58.
- Beauvais, L. L., Desplaces, D.E., Melchar, D. E. & Bosco, S. M. (2007). Business Faculty Perceptions and Actions Regarding Ethics Education. Journal of Academic Ethics, 5 (1), 121-136.
- Welsh, D. H. B., Desplaces, D.E., & Davis, A. E. (2011). A Comparison of Retail Franchises, Independent Businesses and Purchased Existing Independent Business Startups: Lessons from the Kauffman Firm Survey. Journal of Marketing Channels, 18 (1): 3-18.
Desplaces, D.E., Matveew, A. V., & Congden, S. W. (2009). Importance of Cross Cultural Communication: a Comparison across American, German and Expatriates in the United Arab Emirates.. In Kathleen Suchon (Ed.), Eastern Academy of Management International Bi-Annual Meeting, June 21-25. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Desplaces, D.E., Blockson, L. & Delaurelle, R. (2009). Lobster Rolls: New York Style. In Herb Sherman (Ed.), Cases in Progress Proceeding of the CASE Association. Eastern Academy of Management Annual Meeting, May 13-16. Hartford, C.T.
Desplaces, D.E., Blockson, L. & Delaurelle, R. (2008). Embryo Case: Lobster Rolls: New York Style. In David Desplaces (Ed.), Cases in Progress Proceeding of the CASE Association. Eastern Academy of Management Annual Meeting, May 14-17. Washington, D.C.
Rudd, H., Desplaces, D.E. & Olejniczak, O.(2008) Relationship Marketing and Partnership Building: Critical Success Factors in the Design & Implementation of Two Economic Development Focused Study Abroad Programs. In Glen Riecher & Dave Shepherd (Eds), expanding Marketing Horizons, Into The 21st Century. Association of Marketing Theory and Practice Annual Meeting, March 27-29. Savannah, GA.
Desplaces, D.E., Santos, J. & Wergeles, F. (2007). Proposing a framework for understanding the diffusion of new laser technology. In Dilip Mirchandani (Ed.), Creating and managing sustainable organizations and systems. Proceeding of the Eastern Academy of
Management Annual Meeting, May 17-19, (p. 1248-1274). New Brunswick, NJ.
Desplaces, D.E., Wergeles, F., Eppes, T. A. & Milanovic, I. M. (2007). Road Map to Creating a Laser Technology Center of Excellence in Connecticut: Assessment and recommendations of the curriculum. In Jeff Alfes and Bruce Kemelgor (Ed), The wide world of entrepreneurship. Proceeding of the USASBE Annual Meeting, January 11-14. Orlando, FL.
Conference Workshops, Symposiums and Panels
Desplaces, D.E., Rodriguez, C. & Woodilla, J. (2009). Symposium in Case Teaching and Research: a Global Perspective. Eastern Academy of Management International Bi-Annual Meeting, June 21-25. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Blair, C., Dehler, G., Gorman, C.A. & Desplaces, D.E. (2009). Learning what's new in business publications while teaching students to habitually scan for additional information. OBTS Annual Meeting, June 10-13. Charleston, SC.
Blockson, L., Bosco, S., Desplaces, D.E. & Ebrahimpour, M. (2008) “The questions we ask or don’t ask of business ethics education.” Academy of Management Annual Meeting, August 8-13. Anaheim, CA.
Clarkin, J., Desplaces, D.E., Matthews, C. & McGuigan, P. (2008). How to Launch a Successful Business Plan Competition? A Best Practice Symposium. Academy of Management Annual Meeting, August 8-13. Anaheim, CA.
Congden, S., Desplaces, D.E., Olejniczak, O., Rudd, H. & Sobiesuo, A. (2008). Developing a study abroad experiential learning tool box. ABSEL Annual Meeting, February 26-28. Charleston, SC.
Desplaces, D.E., Matthews, C., Kirch, P. & Roer, M. (2008). How to Launch a Successful Business Plan Competition? A Best Practice Symposium. In Michael Morris, The global entrepreneurial revolution: a new vision. United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship Annual Meeting, January 10-13. San Antonia, TX.
Kenworthy-U’Ren, A., Taylor, M. DiPadova-Stocks, L. N., Papamarcos, S., McStay, D., Berry, G., Coates, T., & Desplaces, D.E. (2007). Creating Live Cases in the Community. Academy of Management Annual Meeting, August 3-8. Philadelphia, PA.
Download curriculum vitae for a complete listing of publications and other professional accomplishments.